KASHAN – HERITAGE CITY
“Kashan is a city more ornate than the bosom of pious figures, neater than the tresses of a beautiful woman; its buildings resemble the cheeks of the Houris, glowing with light”
Heft Iklim (16th century)
Borudjerdi House, 19th century
The oasis of Kashan has been inhabited since the end of the 6th century BC. There remain traces of the Neolithic site of Tapeh Sialkon on the outskirts of the modern town. The city of Kashan was founded, in its earliest form, by the Sassanid dynasty ( 3rd and 4th centuries). During the Islamic era, it is fabled to have been developed by the wife of the Abbasid Calif, Harun al-Rashid (786- 809). Renowned under the Seljuks for its intellectuals, administrators and calligraphers, it was relatively untouched by Mongolian, Timurid and Turkmenistan invasions. Kashan flourished under the Safavids: Shah Abbas the 1st improved it with palaces, gardens and bazaars and he was buried in the city in the same mausoleum as his ancestor, Ibn Musa. The Afghans and then Nader Shah ravaged the city and slaughtered its citizens, and an earthquake devastated it in 1779. It was rebuilt and restored by Karim Khan Zand (18th century) and by Qajar Fath Shah (19th century)
Fin Garden, 17th century
Tapeh Sialk ; Fin gardens ; traditional family houses (Ameri (now a hotel) Borudjerdi, Tabatabai, Abbasian) ; bazaar ; Aqa Bozorg Madrasa ; Soltan Amir Hammam ; Tadjoldin Mausoleum : Imamzadeh Shahzadeh Ebrahim ; Friday Mosque : Imam Khomeyne Madrasa ; Meydan Mosque.
Amerihâ House, from the XIXth century, became hotel in the years 2000
As a little known city, but nonetheless a place of abundant culture, Kashan deserves an entire day with which to visit its bazaar, the gardens of Fin and its remarkable traditional houses.
Madrasa Aqâ Bozorg, 19th century